The next time you're out making walking rounds, ask a nurse these 7 questions on patient safety:
1. Have there been any near-misses that nearly resulted in resident harm?
2. Have there been any incidents recently where a resident was harmed?
3. What things do you think will cause another resident to be harmed?
4. What can we do to prevent the next adverse event?
5. Can you think of a way the system here doesn't work?
6. What specifically can administration do to make the work you do safer?
7. What are we doing that works?