CMS has an open door forum conference call for nursing homes once a month, where providers have the opportunity to give feedback on proposed changes to CMS law and policies, as well as get general questions on billing and survey issues answered. Here is a highlight of today's call for those of you who didn't chance to listen in.
1. After May 23, 2008 do not use the old legacy codes with your NPI # when submitting claims.
2. Due to a computer glitch that some of the fiscal intermediaries had, if you had denials on a no-pay bill at the end of the fiscal year, don't split it but instead resubmit.
3. AAPC offers CEUs to certified coders who complete any webinar or course sponsered by CMS or a carrier.
4. MDS 2.0 has had revisions as follows: (Chap. 3)I2J, I3, K2A, K3, L1E, M4, M4G, M5E, (App B).
5. MDS 3.0 will have a conference in Baltimore on January 24; it will also be presented via conference call at the same time. They will discuss the draft version and how the pilots went.
6. MACs (Medicare Modernization Act Contractors) will replace FIs and carriers. Meridian Services, Trailblazer, Wisconsin Physician Services, Highmark, and Palmetto have been awarded contracts for regions 3, 4, 5, 12, and 1, respectively. MACs for regions 2, 7, and 13 have not yet been awarded.
7. The therapy cap still remains at $1810/yr, but Congress is allowing the exception process to continue out through July 31, 2008.
8. Next Open Door Forum conference call will be on February 28, from 2-3 EST.