Sunday, January 20, 2008

Thanks to the Tennessee State Veterans Home, Murfressboro

Recently, I've had the opportunity to observe operations at the Tennessee State Veteran's Home in Murfressboro. Initially, I expected the worst. TSVH has gotten loads of bad press in the media, as they had 8 immediate jeopardies on their last survey. However, I was pleasantly suprised to find out that the facility was actually one of the best I have ever been in. I would especially like to commend the staff on the North Wing, which is the secure dementia unit. Robin Ronewicz, Gail Fish, and Annah Jones are truly exceptional staff members, and Diane Williams is one of the best house supervisors I have ever had the pleasure to meet. I would again like to express to them my thanks for the great work they do. I sent the administrator of the nursing home a short email expressing my kudos, and the staff couldn't believe that somebody would actually publically thank them as it had never happened before. I would like to present everybody out there with two pieces of advice: (1) Thank your staff, thank them often, because you have absolutely no idea how underappreciated they feel, and (2) Bad survey results don't necessarily mean that a facility is bad. Judge a nursing home by how compassionate and caring the nurses and techs are.

No comments: