Friday, March 7, 2008

SPIRIT: A rapid QI program that stays on the floor

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston has recently launched a new semi-informal QI initiative called SPIRIT: Solutions Promoting Improvement Respect Integrity & Teamwork. I'm feeling a bit lazy right now so I'm just going to link to its description on their CEO's blog here. Nursing homes seem to never do anything innovative, so the next best thing is to steal ideas (steal? I really mean borrow ideas) and adapt them to the long term setting. One thing that really impresses me about the SPIRIT initiative is that it strives to empower employees to answer these 3 questions with a "resounding YES!":

"Am I treated with dignity and respect by everyone I encounter, regardless of role or rank in the organization?

Am I given the knowledge, tools and support that I need in order to make a contribution to my organization and that adds meaning to my life?


Did somebody notice I did it, i.e., am I recognized for my contributio
n?"

Can every single employee in your nursing home, administrator on down to the lowliest part-time laundry aide, answer these questions in the affirmative?

No comments: